Penn Stainless inventory includes PRODEC Alloy 316/316L (UNS S31600 / S31603), plate and round bar. PRODEC 316/316L is ideally suited for machining applications.
Prodec® 316/316L is an improved version of standard 316L for improved machinability and outstanding uniformity. Prodec® 316/316L offers faster machining speeds, longer tool life, improved part quality and lower total cost of machined parts. Prodec® 316/L provides improved resistance to pitting and crevice corrosion in environments containing chlorides and other halides.
Specifications: UNS S31600 / S31603
Prodec 316/316L Stainless Steel is used in a wide variety of home and commercial applications, including:
- Chemical process equipment
- Food and beverage industry
- ASTM/ASME: UNS S31600 / S31603
- EURONORM: 1.4401 / 1.4404
- has shown corrosion resistance within the range typically expected of 316L stainless steel.
- common for Prodec 316/316L to be dual certified as Prodec 316L and Prodec 316 because the material meets both the lower carbon limit of 316L and the slightly higher strength of 316.
- Good oxidation resistance in intermittent service to 1600°F and in continuous service to 1690°F.
- Continuous use of 304 in the 800-1580°F range is not recommended if subsequent aqueous corrosion resistance is important.
Properties of 304 Alloy
- Prodec 316/316L is readily welded by a full range of conventional welding procedures except oxyacetylene.
- low carbon filler metals with molybdenum content higher than that of the base metal should be used with Prodec 316/316L stainless steel.
- offers faster machining speeds, longer tool life, improved part quality and lower total cost of machined parts.
Typical Representative Tensile Properties
|Tensile Strength, ksi||85|
|Yield Strength, ksi||44|
|% Elonation in 2 inches||56|
|% Reduction of area||69|
|ASTM Representative Tensile Properties|
|Tensile Strength, ksi||75|
|Yield Strength, ksi||30|
|% Elonation in 2 inches||40|
|% Reduction of area||-|
(BTU/h ft. °F)
(in x 10-6)
(psi x 106
°F x 10-6
|at 68°F: 0.285||8.7 at 212°F||27.6 at 68°F||29||9.4 at 32 – 212°F||0.1200 at 68°F to 212°F||2500 to 2590|
|10.2 at 32 – 1000°F|
|10.4 at 32 – 1500°F|
Call us at 1-800-222-6144 for more information