Stainless Steel University
Stainless Steel University is offered by Penn Stainless Products to keep manufacturers informed about stainless steel products and processing. We focus on general stainless steel information and training, and we introduce concepts that enable manufacturers to realize efficiencies and cost savings in their procurement of stainless materials.
Virtual Training Session
Stainless Steel Structural Products – Reduce Material & Fabrication Costs
Tuesday, May 19th
11:00AM – 12:00 noon
Stainless Steel University is expanding its training program to include stainless steel structural products. Over this one-hour seminar, participants will learn about:
Stainless structural products availability, including angles, channels, I-beams, tube & custom shapes
Manufacturing methods such as hot-rolling, forming, extruding, welding, and laser-fusing.
Recent updates to stainless steel structural specifications
Cost comparisons between laser-fusing, hot-rolling, or forming of stainless shapes
Strategies to reduce total material costs and reduce manufacturing times.
At the conclusion of the seminar, participants will be able to engage the instructor with questions or comments. We will provide participants with the slide deck along with a certificate of completion.
Current Course Catalog:
- Stainless Steel Basics – Learn about stainless steel grades, compare product forms, and review general stainless steel specifications. This class provides specific recommendations on how to avoid purchasing “miscommunications” between manufacturers and metal service centers.
- Strategies to Reduce Stainless Steel Manufacturing Costs – Participants will learn specific strategies to reduce their stainless steel fabrication costs. Specific cost-cutting strategies are offered for plate, bar and structural products. Case studies are provided demonstrating cost-saving opportunities.
- Penn Stainless Products Inventory & Processing Overview – This class is dedicated to the specific inventory and processing capabilities that are unique to Penn Stainless Products. Processing overview of saw cutting, plasma cutting, shearing, laser cutting, waterjet cutting and more will be covered.
- Love Your Stainless – Increase the longevity of Stainless Fabrication in the Field – This session explores corrosion and its effects on stainless steels. We identify best practices to mitigate corrosion in the fab shop and in the field. Case studies are provided. This is great workshop for your manufacturing team.
- Improving the Machinability of Stainless Steel – Stainless steel is a challenge to machine. This session explores the materials that are available to improve machinability, increase feeds and speeds, and reduce total machining costs. We compare price points between “common” stainless steel products with products that are engineered specifically for machining applications.
- Understanding Stainless Steel Plate Processing Options – There are a multitude of stainless steel plate processing options available. Plate saw cutting, laser cutting, waterjet cutting, plasma cutting, machine cutting, and more. This program compares cutting tolerances, nesting and costs, and reviews which stainless steel grades are suitable for each cutting option.
- Understanding Stainless Steel Surcharges – Stainless steel alloy surcharges adjust each month depending on the global commodities market. This session explains the main components driving stainless steel surcharges and explores some of the economic reasons that could impact the stainless surcharges. This session is updated to include recent and current surcharge information for stainless grades such as 304/L, 316/L, Duplex 2205 and more.